Monday, June 21, 2010

Ravanan (Tamil) -- Worth a Watch



Ravanan (Tamil version, with English subtitles)
Rating: 2.5/5.00
Worth Rs.70/Rs. 70
(reduced rate of Rs.70 as it was morning show and apparently no one is coming for the movie) However, there were some 15 of us! 14 tamilians and me.

After the ear shattering experience of Abhishek as Ravan in Hindi, I wanted to check out how Vikram has done the role. Indeed, Vikram fits the Ravan character better. Of course, he does not come out as a menacing villain, but his love for Ash comes out clearly. In the Hindi version, this was just guess work and one was not sure.

Surprisingly, I found the Tamil version, pretty OK and watchable. In fact to recall, I had called the Hindi version the most boring movie I have seen in recent times. Thanks to the subtitles I could follow the meaning in the songs and the voiceovers. Mani has in fact loaded the songs and voiceover with deep meanings.

As I went through the first half, I could make out why Mani had failed in the Hindi version. In the Tamil version too the same failings would apply. Basically, the movie has a lot of loose ends. One keeps asking why is this so, this is not normal. For instance, there is a face-off between the brigands and the police. The brigands just disappear, with Dev capturing and beating one of them. What meaning or value is this sequence adding to the movie?

While Vikram overshadows Abhishek in the acting department, it is Govinda overshadowing his counterpart. Aishwarya seems competent or at least she has made a good effort to act in the Tamil version. Why the emotions cannot be seen in the Hindi version is a mystery to me. The Dev in both versions are cardboard characters and are dull as cardboard. I personally feel that if Abhishek had done the Dev role, it would have worked better.

I think Mani had started with a great movie outline and a movie with the potential of a Sholay or a Rajneeti. But somehow he lacks the killer instinct to do a great film. His Yuva, Sathiya, Anjali were movies with a spark and some dum. Dil se was a dud according to me, but for the fantastic song (chaiya chaiya). I think he should stick to Tamil movies -- because Ravan has proved to be a unmitigated disaster.

AR Rahman seems more tolerable and appropriate in the Tamil version.

The twist in the end is interesting -- however, not interesting enough to sustain interest. We do not have a cliff-hanger. Mani just takes us to the cliff and drops us -- just like Ravan in the first scene (he did warn us, did'nt he).

I always gauge a reaction to the film from the smiles on the faces of the audience while coming out. There were 6 tamil girls who came out -- all of them had smiles, which seemed to say, we liked the movie. A few others too had the same look. I too had a positive experience.

Perhaps, we can believe Amitabh Bachchan when he tweeted: .gather lot of merited film edited out, causing inconsistent performance and narrative, but what presentation!

In none of the reviews I have noticed this idea -- that perhaps Mani was trying to say that there is a Ravan in Ram and a Ram in Ravan or Ram has turned Ravan and Ravan has turned into a Ram. If this was his original idea -- I think he has truly failed to make this idea clear. I only got an inkling of this idea. That would have made a great film.

Should you watch the Tamil version? Honestly, the Tamil version (albeit in my case via subtitles) was more intelligible and seemed to make some sense. The Hindi version, I think got messed up due to Abhishek or was it the editing or was it Ash? Mani? Of course not! He is God, yaar! (not to me, I am an agnostic or atheist). I am sure you will not get a headache in the Tamil version. Hindi version -- well, it is all bak-bak-bak-bak! And dude -- stick to Dostana type of films.

No comments:

Post a Comment